With the summer break approaching, the holidays are rarely planned to be relaxed. The sports hall needs re-lamping, the extension to the Kendal classroom should be completed and the central heating system needs the usual maintenance. Not exactly a relaxed plan for the summer, but our research has highlighted a few ‘musts’ over the summer break:
Looking in the rear-view mirror:
- What was the cost per pupil last year? How does it compare to previous years?
- What level of surplus have you achieved? How is that made up? What % is curriculum based? Boarder? Extra-curricular? Other sources?
Looking at now:
- How does this look for 17/18? Is this due to be a better or worse year?
- What building modifications are going to help meet the style goals of the school?
Looking ahead to the future:
- What technology would make your job easier? Electronic accounting could be just round the corner, but is arguably easier once set up with suppliers. Digital asset management packages significantly simplify the process of tracking and updating. The electronic class room came and went, but will it be back?
- What are the marketing team telling you about the leading indicators for 18/19? What does this do for the financial model for the next 5 years?
- What is the Head’s long term strategy? Where do they want the school to be? Can that be done with better class room management or does that require additional classroom space?
- Have you collaborated with the marketing department on the look and feel of the new reception? Does it create a positive first impression? Does it reflect your brand?
- What are you doing to spend your apprentice levy in 17/18? An apprentice admin? An apprentice groundsman? Teaching does not have to be constrained to the classroom and the returns from these employees can be quite staggering.
- What is the one thing that you are going to do differently in year 17/18?
We know the summer is often the busiest time for the Bursar, but we strongly recommend making the time to reflect on last year, what went right and what went wrong, and take time to plan for this year.
If you would like advice, guidance, or just to talk about any of the above, please do give us a call. Happy summer from MTM.